VPN is a secure, encrypted network connection typically used to connect from a third-party Internet Service Provider (ISP) to a Penn State service and/or resource. Encryption and other security mechanisms ensure only authorized users access the network and secured data. VPNs are used to:
- Secure connections between Penn State and a remote ISP. Connections made from a third-party ISP to a non-.psu.edu domain may not be protected.
- Access Penn State resources restricted to a Penn State-only IP address.
A Penn State Access Account is required to utilize the VPN service in addition to a network connection and a local copy of the VPN software.
VPN clients for UNIX/Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X are available for download via downloads.its.psu.edu – under “Connecting to Penn State”.
Help & Support
NOTE: If experiencing issues with installing or using a VPN client, please contact the IT Service Desk. Please make sure you include the following information:
- Your Penn State Access Account user ID (xyz5000).
- The operating system and version of the local computer (Mac OS X 10.10 or Windows 7).
- Time error occurred.
- Any error messages received.